It just keeps getting better


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Hard to believe, but true!

This morning I met up with "The Pink Arrows" - the Saturday morning group which attracts such (Southside) running luminaries as Tuggeranong Don and the PRB. Coffee afterwards is an integral feature of the activity, which always sounds good to me!

I snuck out of the house around twenty past five (I didn't want to disturb Bob, who had a big triathlon on Sunday, and did a competitive lake swim the night before), arriving at Southlands Mawson in the first rays of light. I saw that Don was there already, stretching and warming up, however he had hoped to arrive a full hour early and get some extra distance in for his marathon training. My mind boggled at the notion of waking up an hour earlier! I grabbed my fuel belt as others arrived and got underway at around 5:45am.


It was a companionable, slow pace and I felt good. As the sun rose we were in the nature park at Farrer Ridge, surrounded by inquisitive kangaroos who were a little stunned by the Indian File of fluorescent two-legged creatures making their plodding way through the 'roos territory.

Soon, the PRB and I were on the track on our own - the decision had to be made whether to extend the run onto Isaacs Ridge or not. I felt good, and reminded myself that it was most important to get the distance in my (chubby) legs, not to worry about time. We turned right at the Yamba Drive underpass and headed into the cool pines of Isaacs Ridge. We turned around at the "GreenHouse", an appropriately named residential property with a apple green colourbond roof and matching paintwork on the building structure.

Although slow and struggling a little on the hills, the final few kilometres were essentially downhill, and I thoroughly enjoyed the sensation of travelling a bit faster than the first few k's. Everyone else was well ensconced at "Pashas" at Southlands by the time we arrived back, some preparing to head off with takeaway coffees in hand.

A serving of Raisin Toast was enough for a family of six (well, too much for one person!), and the coffee was good, if a little long in coming. A great start to the weekend! I was delighted with the distance covered (16-point-something kilometres) despite the often over 7 minute kilometres. I can't wait until next week!

The afternoon was spent helping out at the Triathlon site at Rond Terrace from 1:45pm. It wasn't hard work, and I did spend a great deal of time chatting to my friend Adrienne. However, as the wind come up and the tents blew down, my cold also freshened. Unable to leave until nearly 8pm, my hopes to make it to the Vets Handicap the next day were dwindling as I coughed and spluttered. Bob was doing the Olympic distance Tri the next morning and I would have to cycle the 15km or so to Campbell Park if I were to make it.
It was a bloody good Saturday though!


0 Responses to “It just keeps getting better”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts