Cross Country Trials


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Thanks Gronk! Happy 2007!

OK, so Bob said it wasn't wise to run Customs on Friday with my his cold, but some things you just gotta do.

And I did!

A nasty cough kept me from having much sleep on Friday night, and I just fell asleep around the time I had planned to gt up and deliver Aki's new car to her. Somewhat belatedly I made it, and we went straight to Weston Park to watch the Cross Country selection races for the World's in Mombasa.

There were may familiar faces there, which was good to see that Canberra runners turned up in rather stifling conditions to cheer on a small band of runners lapping around the 2km course.

We missed the junior women, but just caught the start of the open women on their 6km course. It was interesting to see how dramatically the placings changed as we saw them at the 1k and 2km points. Younger, inexperienced (but still able to maintain a good 3:45 pace) runners went out too fast and died in the final stages, whereas the elder veterans (such as Joy Terry) started in last place and only picked her way gradually through the field. Those in the first places had impossibly long legs compared to we mortals.

The junior men's 8km was different tactically, although again an example of experience and testosterone. A NSW runner led out for the first two laps, while the group run in a tight bunch behind him like a peloton. Few, if any took advantage of the water bags on offer at every kilometre, and the field started to spread out over the course. The lead runner was soon in 2nd last position, which he maintained until the end, and the leaders spread out. I later found out that many suffered from heat exhaustion and needed medical intervention and re-hydration.

The crowd had grown considerably by the start of the Open Men. Marty Dent was the undisputed local favourite and received lots of encouragement. I took their lap times as best I could at each kilometre and I recorded the following splits:
1 km: 2:56
2 km: 3:03 5:59
3 km: 2:53 8:53
4 km: 3:00 11:53
5 km: 2:51 14:44
6 km: 3:04 17:48
7 km: 2:52 20:52
8 km: 3:01 23:42

The conditions were oppressive, hot and humid and Martin Dent's talent shone through as he assumed the lead half way and held on for an excellent win. It was great watching all of the runners though, who made it look so effortless that it was hard to fathom that it was 14:44 for the 5k, not 24:44.

We stayed around and chatted a little, however every time I laughed, or attempted to, my death rattle cough would clear the neighbourhood. Aki dropped me home to meet the rapidly growing Rudi, however I was fading fast and chucked her out to sleep.

And sleep I did. All afternoon, and most of the night, moving only to go and get a fresh box of tissues. So much for Saturday.

Sunday? Well the weather is much milder, and I have that "feel worse, so I must be getting better" groove.


1 Responses to “Cross Country Trials”

  1. Blogger Ewen 

    Good report FD! You are becoming an expert at taking splits :)

    Happy 2007! I have a feeling it will be a flash year.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts