A Cruel Twist of Fate!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I got the all clear from my surgeon this morning to resume vigorous activity (i.e. running and cycling) as I see fit.

Unfortunately, Bob might be returning to training from the biggest illness that I have witnessed him having, however, it seems, not before passing it on my way. I'm actually not too bad, however my throat is very raw, I have a nasty barking cough like a dying dog, and my voice has largely left the building. I didn't repeat the 17-18 km walk I did yesterday, nor did I get out for my first legal run! How unfair is that???


I had a million things I've been meaning to post about for ages but at the moment my mind is blank. Never mind. How is this for an example of a cruel twist of fate though?



Ode on the Death of a Favorite Cat Drowned in a Tub of Goldfishes

'Twas on a lofty vase's side,
Where China's gayest art had dyed
The azure flowers that blow;
Demurest of the tabby kind,
The pensive Selima, reclined,
Gazed on the lake below.
Her conscious tail her joy declared;
The fair round face, the snowy beard,
The velvet of her paws,
Her coat, that with the tortoise vies,
Her ears of jet, and emerald eyes,
She saw: and purred applause.

Still had she gazed; but 'midst the tide
Two angel forms were seen to glide,
The Genii of the stream;
Their scaly armour's Tyrian hue
Thro' richest purple to the view
Betrayed a golden gleam.

The hapless nymph with wonder saw:
A whisker first and then a claw,
With many an ardent wish,
She stretched in vain to reach the prize.
What female heart can gold despise?
What cat's averse to fish?

Presumptuous maid! with looks intent
Again she stretched, again she bent,
Nor knew the gulf between.
(Malignant Fate sat by, and smiled)
The slippery verge her feet beguiled,
She tumbled headlong in.

Eight times emerging from the flood
She mewed to every watery god,
Some speedy aid to send.
No Dolphin came, no Nereid stirred;
Nor cruel Tom, nor Susan heard.
A favorite has no friend!

From hence, ye beauties, undeceived,
Know, one false step is ne'er retrieved,
And be with caution bold.
Not all that tempts your wandering eyes
And heedless hearts is lawful prize,
Nor all, that glisters, gold.
Thomas Gray (1716-1771)


5 Responses to “A Cruel Twist of Fate!”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    You're scaring me, I thought maybe Rudi had come accross some Goldfish! I hope you do not go under like Flashdrake did, yeouch! He was bad!

    Happy runnings soon, but take - it - easy!!!

  2. Blogger Gronk 

    The good news is that your on your way up ! You'll be over the lurgy before you know it FD.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    The old FD returneth??!!

  4. Blogger Friar 

    Fly Flash Duck Fly

    (After you beat the cold.)

  5. Blogger Ewen 

    Before long you'll be back to four sessions a day ;)

    Poor Bob!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts