Can it get any better than this?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It may have taken me a decade and a half to fully appreciate it, but there is a lot to be said for setbacks in running, as in life.

So running Customs last Friday may not have been the smartest thing to do as far as the barking dog on my chest was concerned, but I did need to do it for something else inside me. On Wednesday I fronted up to the BBQ Stakes for the first time in heavens knows how long, and saw that my handicap was 7:30. I knew that I should go early, but when? I missed Friar's start of 3:30, so was next cab off the rank at 4:00 with Ted. I was pleased to go steadily and hold back for the first kilometre or so with Ted until we caught up with Friar. I know that I'm likely to bolt out of the gate too fast (although at a snail's pace that belies the silliness of what I am doing) at the moment with inexperience so a slow start was ideal.

It was so much easier to breathe! The few or four days off must have helped as well. I didn't die on the hills as I expected and found the first rise up Wardock Street easier than I remembered from my last runs on the course. I felt as though I was floating on the downhills, despite doing well over 5 minute pace, and was finding it a little uneasy that I hadn't been overtaken by the halfway point. A stunning lizard, maybe a shingle back, strolled across the track in front of me as I came up the last rise on Oakey Hill and I hurdled over the top to ensure that his pretty stubby tail remained intact.

Finally I heard footsteps thudding behind me, and was surprised to see that it was Bob coming up and passing me. Although he disappeared over the final rise a few hundred metres from the finish, I managed to hold on for (an ineligible) second, delighted with my run and how good I felt! Not fast, 36:29 for 6km, but a wonderfully inspiring run that just made me want to go around again and again.

Unfortunately, there was no time for this as I recorded the finishers and then dashed off to an appointment at the Tuggeranong Health Centre. Despite a comedy of errors straight out of a Shakespearean farce at the beginning it was a very enlightening and informative session. I still need to wait for the Surgeon to sign forms and the left hand to talk to the centre right hand and yada yada yada before things actually happen, but it was very good.
At home I pulled on my much neglected cycling gear and headed off on the shopping trolley for my first cycle in a long time. The rear brake was cactus, and I had to stop frequently in an attempt to fix this and line up the sensors for speed, cadence and good karma. It was a lovely, relaxing ride though and it felt so good to get back on the bike!
The PRB had miraculously performed surgery on my power adaptor and I was back on-line by Thursday. After catching up on some bill paying on my laptop, I took my bike into Lonsdale Street Cycle precinct to see what could be done to fix my brake. A helpful assistant was able to make it barley operable, however with the National Mountain Bike Championships being held in Canberra this weekend at Stromlo Forest Park, along with Triathlon Selection Race, the workshop was booked up for weeks. I had to ride carefully with one and an 3/8ths brakes, but at least I could ride.
As Bob was completing his Cotter / Urriara Loop on his Colnago, I rang and arranged to meet him at Cafe D'Lish at the top of Stromlo for a coffee and a few jugs of water. The service was so-so, the food looked OK, but overpriced for home-style stuff, but the coffee was good. After a stop off for the ever so boring supermarket shopping on the way home, I met the PRB at the base of Red Hill for a very slow circuit of the track around the perimetre base. I must admit that I didn't make it all the way running, pulling up with less than 9 kilometres completed, way too thirsty and dry. I had been studying every distant back yard for a tap, and considered diverting via Rad's place to get a drink. In the end I decided making it back to the car was the best decision, and walked the remaining way. My bidon was emptied in record time.
With Cafe Bohemian at the summit of Red Hill closed for renovations, we tottled over to Deakin for a coffee and restorative bottle or three of water. To my surprise it was also Cafe D'Lish, apparently undergoing renovations (but open), with a far superior looking menu and food selection than at Stromlo.
A good day was had by all, and I am so excited about running I can't wait for more!

Labels: ,


4 Responses to “Can it get any better than this?”

  1. Blogger Gronk 

    Yay ! Great news FD ! :)

  2. Blogger TD 

    It's really wonderful to hear you say you are so excited by running. I love it when runners say that.

    I'm sorry that I didn't really get a chance to chat much at this morning's run. I had a very busy morning.

  3. Blogger Ewen 

    That was a good read Carolyne - things are looking up :)

    Ted is the perfect person to run with - such a gentleman. Don't tell him I said that... tell him I said he runs like a geriatric hippo - that'll get him going.

  4. Blogger strewth 

    Fantastic news FD - now break yourself in gently. Look forward to seeing you at one of these events soon - maybe the CC runs?

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts