The good, the bad and a DNF


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It's been a good day. Went to the gym this morning and stayed until some abdominal spasms made me realise that enough was enough.
Rode my newly serviced boike down to Customs, and was thrilled with how good the rear brakes were, and stunned at the difference in gear changing with a replacement gear cable inner and outer fitted. I'm sure that I was so much faster! At the very least, I was able to maintain a far higher cadence throughout, especially going up hills seated.
There was a good turnout at Customs, although for some reason the gut spasms returned when I started to run. I left off my correct handicap with the PRB of 6:30, and had been confident that I would better my time of 28:46ish from last week. Well before I got the the 1km marker though I thought it best that I turn back, and over the last hundred metres I had a rigorous argument with myself along the lines of
"You should stop now. It hurts too much to be healthy.
"Just keep going another k and see what it's like then
"It's not right to be this sore. Think of the big picture - long run tomorrow
"Softy! What are you? Weak or something?
"Don't make it worse. Stop you idiot . . . "
Eventually I did stop, and, although I started to jog back I soon reverted to walking when I realised that this made the gut much more comfortable.
I made it back in time to see Scotty check his own time on the stopwatch and run off at a blistering pace. Thus the 5 or so bikes that were used as transport to the run and the assorted chattels were guarded. The recent re-handicapping worked well with most of those leaving off their correct time coming in a rush together within 30 seconds or so. Well Done Mr Handicapper!
A coffee with the PRB later woke me up and quelled my incessant yawning. The ride home was equally successful on the serviced bike. I'm going to have a lot of fun on this in the next few months!
So - long run (for me) tomorrow with the Pink Arrows, starting from Acton Ferry Terminal at (yawn) 5:45 or earlier!

Labels:


2 Responses to “The good, the bad and a DNF”

  1. Blogger TD 

    We missed seeing you there this morning, Flashduck, and I hope all is ok. PRB did tell me about yesterday's problems for you.

    Thank you for your really wonderful comments on my recent blog post. I greatly appreciated what you wrote and was very touched by them.

  2. Blogger Ewen 

    Hope you're OK FD. Son't worry about missing the long run.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts