Googong Off Road Half Marathon


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The ACT Cross Country Club (ACTCCC) conducted a new event today, the Googong Dam Off Road Half Marathon. With no preparation and little knowledge, Aki and I car pooled, the transport of choice for many of those attending. My navigation skills could do some honing though, as I took Aki on a 'scenic' tour of suburban Queanbeyan before a phone call to the PRB put us back on the right track.
There was quite a big turnout, not surprising given that the cost for members was zilch, nix, nada, gratis - and only $5 for others. I am so pleased that I saved my $80 registration fee for the Gold Coast tomorrow! Although my tour de Queanbeyan did not leave us with much free time, I found that there was an early start, and just managed to line up as we headed off about 15 minutes early.
It was on a good fire trail surface, and although quite exposed, in the faint winter sunshine it was perfect, with views of the dam as we wound our way around - and up and down. It was rather hilly - in fact a total elevation gain and loss of 1,081 metres!
I felt a tad better than when running in the Customs Joggers run on Friday, not quite so spastic and my breathing didn't wheeze quite so much. I was slower than expected, it hurt more than I would have liked, but I was running! Far too soon a long, lean flash of legs eased his way past me and up a hill. He must have been the leader in the race at the 'correct' start, but I didn't immediately recognise him and his was running so well - in absolute, not just comparative terms. A little later, the familiar club colours with Scott Imhoff, and Trevor Jacobs passed as well, then after a break, a steady stream of the faster blokes on the course. After crossing a dry causeway, a sign indicated that there was a car park access 2.2 km away. A check of the dashboard confirmed that this would be the turnaround.
I plugged on, keeping an eye on the distinctive Cool Running colours of Strewth in the distance. To my chagrin and surprise, she was lounging around at the turnaround! What was this! I didn't know that there was a relay event!
Funnily enough, after about 13 or 14 kilometres, I kicked into gear. My arm no longer had a mind of it's own, my breathing normalised - still wheezing on the worst of the ascents, but normal - and it felt more like it should to run. Sure, the groin pain intensified greatly, resulting in involuntary cries, but thankfully there was no one around. Despite a toilet stop, I manage a scant negative split (10-20 seconds), but a negative split nevertheless.


6 Responses to “Googong Off Road Half Marathon”

  1. Blogger speedygeoff 

    "rather hilly" - looks like you attached your garmin to a yoyo.....?

  2. Blogger Gronk 

    Yikes ! Look at that profile ! Sounds like a great race FD. Good to see your doing well. :)

  3. Blogger Friar 

    Well done Flashduck, saw lots of Kangaroos, but no ducks, damn.

    :-))

  4. Blogger strewth 

    Great gutsy run FD. Talk about hills - phew! But I have to say it's nice to run off-road which is easy to say when I only ran 11.2km of it - yay for relays! We need to catch up for a coffee!

  5. Blogger CJ 

    It was tough wasn't it! If we weren't running uphill we were heading downhill. From what I can remember it was a scenic run!

  6. Blogger Unknown 

    What a course, FD! Great run though; you're one tough 'cookie'! Stay with it.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts