Bad Duck. Baaad Duuuck.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I haven't blogged for a week, although I keep planning what I am going to write and don't get time to sit in front of the screen.

We have a bright shiny new car, and it is lov-er-ly.

Even this (yep, a whole two sentences) has been sitting in my draft folder for two days!

To Answer some Recent Questions:

Bob has settled on a bike and order (estimated delivery time from Italia 6 weeks), a beautiful yellow sunflower Colnago Cristello frame with Full Dura-Ace and two sets of spiffy wheels (that is, I can't remember what they are off the top of my head, but one carbon race set and a training set).

Health: Up, Down, Round and Around but hanging in there.

I ran the BBQ Stakes last week with the uncharacteristic accompaniment of an MP3 recording of techno "Podrunner" music along the way. I wasn't fast. (Fast? Ha! 33:20 for 6km!) but the beat of the music did help me along the way, especially up the hills. More experimentation is needed.

Afterwards, it was wonderful to see Peter, the PRB, who we had just learned had been diagnosed with cancer and required immediate surgery. He let us know about the plans as they fell at the moment, and lots of hugs were exchanged.

After two hours sleep on Tuesday night, and me getting through on pure adrenaline, Thursday was a complete write off. Lots of sleep.

Customs Joggers on Friday arrived and I tried really hard, finishing in 25:56. Cracking 25 minutes, let alone 23 is still a long way off. Que Se Sera.

Friday was also Bob's 59th Birthday (a.k.a. M55.4), and we had an early booking for dinner at The Ottoman in Barton. With a slightly moth eaten bottle of St Henri 1990 under our arm, we settled on a degustation menu, substituting the famous near death experience of Bob eating Prawns (adult onset allergy) of the prawn "tastes" on the menu with some other delightful suggestions of the Chef. It was a great meal. Small dishes with intense, finely honed flavours. With wicked weather outside, we left the full restaurant quite early and Lucy and I sang Happy Birthday around a couple of Lemon Tarts (Bob's preference) with Candles stuck in the top.
I had planned to run the Vets Handicap at Mt Ainslie on Sunday, and Bob and Rad were doing the Duathlon , but the overnight temperatures were horrible, and despite a very early night on Saturday in preparation, I snuggled further under the covers and fell back asleep. It was a bitterly cold day.
We collected the Subaru on Monday afternoon, and Bob headed off to the Gold Coast Half, via visiting friends en route around lunchtime on Tuesday. I made it (although was late for the start as usual) to the Lake Ginninderra Stakes, and hit the start running a few seconds of my "remember when" handicap of 18:00 minutes. Ha! I was doing it tough and was surprised to get to the 6km mark of the run in around 33:30, the time I did the far hillier and more challenging BBQ Stakes last week. I really was trying Miss. It might have hurt during the run and I may not have enjoyed it at the time, however I am so pleased to keep this up and at least get out there. Although not subjecting myself to the 'pressure' of racing, it it far more likely that I can get out there though, for running on my own would be full of pressure to stop and go home.
Chatting to the Amigo's of Rad, Friar and Aki afterwards, Aki and I retired to a chain store coffee shop (our first preference on the 'pond was closed, yet again). It was great curled up on a comfy chair in the empty store against the sun drenched windows.
BBQ Stakes on Wednesday was more of a challenge than I bargained for. Pain, difficulty in breathing and things just not moving fast enough. I wasn't last, but am amazed at how hard it was to get around the 6k course in 39 minutes. It was all worthwhile though as Aki and The PRB, fresh from his surgery and in convalescence retired to a cafe at Phillip for a full catchup, and plans for a meal together on Friday.
So, life is pretty damn good, even if running is not going so well at the moment. It will improve.
Or something!


2 Responses to “Bad Duck. Baaad Duuuck.”

  1. Blogger Sarah 

    So what sort of car is it???

  2. Blogger strewth 

    Great to have you back blogging FD. I have been missing your posts. Exciting things happening in your life - new car, new bike for Bob - oh and 33:20 for 6km is nothing to sneeze at! I would be happy with that time - it's all relative! Happy belated birthday to Bob! Sounds like you had a beautiful dinner.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts