A new way of thinking


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I made it out to the Lake Tuggeranong Stakes 6k Handicap yesterday (every Tuesday, opposite KFC) for the second time ever. I had managed to get the small cork-boards I have been searching Canberra for, and after a few trips to Bunnings to find the correct hinges, buy one and install it to check that it's OK, return for more etc etc, I only managed to get there in the nick of time. No problem, I was there for some time, not a fast time.

There were quite a lot more people than I had known before (12 or 13) and it was a good fun run, especially as this week it was out and back, allowing me to see others on the course. I came last, and was over 5 minute pace (around 31 minutes), but although I went out too fast - almost inevitable when I run so rarely, however I picked up the pace from that to which I had slowed in the last 2 kilometres.

Despite a very cold start to the day, it was beautiful during the middle of the day, and I fearlessly stated my intention to cycle to the BBQ Stakes today. I realised much later that this was barely possible with an early appointment in town, although I kept my options open. Although I waved off Bob at news-time (7:45am) this morning while he looked like a Lycra clad bee with red lensed glasses, neck to knee thermals from Spain, and a full face balaclava with his nose sticking out, the prospect of me following him on my bike in the slowly warming -5 day was too unattractive. I wimped out and drove.

Ran the BBQ Stakes today (good), off my correct handicap time (very good), and didn't stop in the first 600m today (even better). Although I found it hard and didn't manage 5:30 pace, I am fairly upbeat about it all. After-all, I'm been here before a few thousand times, and there is nothing so satisfying as improving bit by bit to become a 'runner', you just stick at it. So I'm slow, but so what? I love to run!

A quick early bird dinner at one of our favourite restaurants this evening (out by 7:45pm) The Chairman and Yip. Saw fellow cool runners Phibes for the first time since his assault on the 24 hour track championships in Taipei, and Lilly Legs who has a new addition to the family. Congratulations to both!

So, I mightn't be up to much (slow flat 6k yesterday, and an even slower 6k today), but it's good to be running. I've been at this point many times before, so onward and upward. After-all, a balmy -1 was predicted overnight!


0 Responses to “A new way of thinking”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts