BBQ Stakes analysis


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm trying to be philosophical here ~ I'm not going so great physically (with me it's a matter of my health holding out, rather than injuries), but Bob and I have a great trip planned which is rapidly approaching (and I WILL be well enough for this!).

I feel a bit a bit like a fraud, as running shall have to lose all focus for me in the immediate future as I both cut the course short yesterday (Lake Ginninderra Stakes - I cut off the peninsula) and couldn't keep up with Rad as I jog/walked it to the finish, desperately attempting to divert my attention away from the knife like pain which was exacerbated by the increasing pace of movement.

Today could be my one hundredth BBQ Stakes - as a weekly event, not such a great achievement, except that I started 15 years ago, and have had to stop for long periods where I never thought that I would run again. These times were the nadir of my life.

However, since my immune system reset around Anzac Day 2004, I have been both sober and realistic in my return to running, having the longest 'good' stretch for around 14 years. Consistency, at even the slowest pace, is a wonderful thing! Thus, to bring up my 100th run I did the 40 over a period from 1990 to 2000. Sometimes speedy (I'm still proud of my PB of 25:21 in 1991), sometimes slow when returning to health, in those days the field was usually under two dozen and I may have been the only female running. I still feel pangs of guilt when I see Roger P. though as I recall when we were competitive (Ha! He now does a sub 3:30 marathon) and I instinctively elbowed him out of the way on my way to the sprint finish. sorry Rog!).

Since my tentative return on 28 April 2004 in 40 minutes and some seconds, I have been trundling along more regularly; the fields now regularly stretching to 50 or 60 participants, when a good contingent of regular and new females turning up. This is great, even if the organisers don't seem to realise that the run to win ratio (like a PE, but different!) has altered over time; one win in 20-25 runs is perfect when the field may be 18-25, although this seems to be a no no now, as the 50 people turn up! The maths is simple really . . . .)

The first 40 runs took 120 months (3 wins), however I have completed the last 58 runs in 22 months (1 win). My consistency with the Customs 5k run has been better (67 runs in 22 months), and has become the social feature of the week. No T-shirt to strive for though!

After yesterdays Lake Ginninderra debacle running probably isn't too smart, but I will aim to turn up and compete . . . Bob is at John James Hospital this morning having a small procedure however, and my need to collect him and take him home and shower him with love and concern (you know what Boys are like) might make this unachievable! Oh well, there is one more Wednesday before we head off into the wide blue yonder.


4 Responses to “BBQ Stakes analysis”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    You never know, it might be a happier Wednesday, and it's not like the BBQ steaks will disappear while you're off on holiday.

  2. Blogger Ewen 

    Congratulatons on your 100th T-shirt Carolyne.

    We'll miss you Saturday week at the Explorer's Tree. I hope you and Bob have a great holiday!

  3. Blogger speedygeoff 

    Congratulations on 100 runs at the "Steaks".
    I calculate at your current rate you can expect your 200th sometime in 2022 AD.
    Go for it!

  4. Blogger Friar 

    Congratulations on your 100th BBQ Stakes, and there's been variety in performance, and variety in the course, which for another couple of months goes out and back, and variety in getting there, by bike and car.

    Plans are that the piccys which are taken by Dave Evans, will form a slide show.

    Your 100 run T-Shirt looked great, and you can be proud of the achievement.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts