An unfortunate pattern seems to be emerging


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Hmmm, it seems as though a pattern is being established; to wit ~ start to 'come good' by about Tuesday, toddle along slowly during the week, and then 'crash and burn' by the weekend with pain and illness for the next few days.

Bugger.

But it might change this week!

Saturday deteriorated significantly following my last post. Never a good sign being covered in goose-flesh and shivering with cold when it is 31 degrees outside. Went to bed, slept fitfully and lost the day. Felt increasingly worse and made a call to advise Geoff that I was an unlikely starter for the Mountain Run on Sunday (he was giving me a lift). Gut still very much aggrieved, however the sinus' were wrecking their revenge now. Head felt as though every bone in it had been smashed.

Woke many hours after the planned 5:45am pick-up time on Sunday feeling like death would be a welcome relief. It was good if I could snatch sleep to subdue the shocking head pain, although this was fairly regular it wasn't enough. Any movement meant induced further pain, dizziness and nausea and vomiting. Able to first have a drink in the early evening.

On Monday the head was better, if still not good. Made a point of going out of the house for a walk at the very least. Still nauseous with movement, putting my head lower was never a good idea, and would revert to my Hang Five surfing stance regularly to protect my balance when it would go skew whiff from doing something outrageous, like, uh, standing still. Bob collected me at Lake Ginninderra on his way back from the coast.

I am pleased that I was stubborn enough to assume normal service on Tuesday, no matter how ill deserved. Went along with those fine gentlemen of Canberra running, Rad and
Friar to yet another of the regular Canberra lunchtime runs, the Lake Tuggeranong Stakes on the southern fringe of Canberra. It is also a weekly 6km handicap event, run on the flat bike paths adjacent to Lake Tuggeranong. Tuesday lunchtimes are well catered for in the ACT ~ there is the monthly Lake Ginninderra Stakes on the last Tuesday of the month; and the short, but excellent mountain 'Run Ups' of Mt Ainslie and Black Mountain on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month.
Whilst the Lake Tuggeranong event is now usually an out and back event on the eastern shore of the lake, it was conducted as a loop on this occasion. Not fit, not fast, and not under 5 minute pace, at least I adopted an appropriate handicap to go off, finishing behind the winner, Rad although towards the end. I have to accept that any running at the moment is good, no matter what speed.
That afternoon, Bob and I headed down to Stage 88 for the Cross Country Clubs third run in the summer series, 5km over the course now used for the Women's and Girls Fun Run in April each year. I felt OK running for the first three kms, until gut pain struck and struck me down. I finished, although had to turn my dash to the line (downhill at that) to a slow and awkward limp clutching my side. I had started conservatively and increased my pace and passed people up to and beyond the turn around, however along the shore-front at Gallipoli Reach just moving forward, instead of collapsing downward was the aim. Oh well. It'll get better.


0 Responses to “An unfortunate pattern seems to be emerging”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts