It's Hot water Jim, but not as we know it


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Thanks everyone for your kind wishes, it has been wonderful to hear from you.








A very nice surprise was in the mailbox this morning with a card from that really good looking W55 with the short dark hair (my description to Bob, who still couldn't place her). Thanks ever so much!







After a somewhat misguided and frustrating attempt to replace the kettle with one that was 50% off without it's box or instructions (I can live without instructions for a kettle. Plug in. Turn On. Boil), I found that it didn't work, and had to wait until Saturday to return it. Bob took it upon himself to quickly find a replacement whilst I went through the paperwork . . . and found that choosing one wasn't quite as easy as it seemed. Upon mentioning that I had seen one at David Jones which was clear glass, and my preferred model (as Bob attempts to boil each time with the minimum amount of water, resulting I'm sure, in our rapid turnaround recently), he agreed that thought that this was a good idea.



Dropping him home, I headed into Civic to secure the said kettle. Found a parking spot without too much drama, and found that the kettles were 10% off. Woo Hoo! Unfortunately, asking revealed that they had sold out of that model (damn). A phone call to Woden confirmed the same from that side of town.



Think. Think. Think.



I saw the same brand at Bing Lee out at Fyshwick during previous kettle run. A call to CallConnect to get me through was more-or-less successful.




Me: "Hi, I'm looking for a Morphy Richards electric kettle that is all glass . . ."



Judy: "Would that be the Alumina?"



(uncertainly - Alumina sounds like the antithesis of a clear glass appliance to me. Don't I have shares in Alumina? I'm sure their not in the glazing business.) "May---be, I don't know the model name, but it's all glass and you can see through it"



"The Alumina, Alumina! The one with the blue water?"



(Whoa! Blue water? I want to make tea! Green tea, white tea, lemongrass tea. Not Blue water tea) "I don't know, it's clear and you can see through it"

And so it went.


I was at the end of my tether, and really didn't want to revert to the ten dollar special on aesthetic and sensory grounds. I got her to put it away - a process that didn't just require my name "Flash", but full name, rank, address for the last 20 years, phone numbers and electronic communication options, and the details of Rudi's next of kin. By now I was nearly at their door, having supplied the details while driving from Civic to Fyshwick. (Don't worry Joyce, I was using the Flash Ears all the time when I was driving).






I walk into the store and recognise Judy - yada yada yada. I look at the box. Completely different (It's Iluma! That makes a little more sense) But interesting. I defer and ask to check the others on display first.








Iluma

Stainless Steel, Plastic, and a few vivid colours, but no clear glass. Except for this rather intriguing thing. I'm due to be at Bonython at 2:00pm to look after the kids, and the time is ticking away. I haven't had anything to eat (OR DRINK - hence my desire for the kettle now) and finally decide Bugger It, to go for it.



After driving home with more of the strangely behaving Canberra motorists (lately I seem to be besieged by drivers who insist on keeping a good 3 car lengths from the car in front at traffic lights, usually in the left lane where there is a left turning lane preventing traffic from moving. Sandwiched by these, I was also aware of the jaunty bounce of a pair of fluffy ears ahead for the length of Parkes Way as some guy on a low powered motorsickel tottered along. I had to do a double take however as he gave the appearance of the White Rabbit himself (I'm Late! I'm Late!) as he stretched up to scratch behind his ears - although on reflection it was likely that he was checking their attachment).



As I bounded into the house, I ran a bath and popped some soup into the microwave. I had only a few minutes before I was due to leave. I suggested that Bob leave the kettle in it's box until I return so that I could read the instructions first. "But I can read instructions" Bob pouted. It's true, he can. But, alas he doesn't.






0 Responses to “It's Hot water Jim, but not as we know it”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts