And the verdict is . . . .


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It seems as though it has been a constant stream of visiting various medical and paramedical services over the last month, augmented by inimitable visits to the Laundromat (note: Belconnen is much better than Dickson).
General medical consensus is that (a) my knee is stuffed; (b) I have mild depression, caused or at least compounded by the fact that (a) my knee is stuffed, and that it is winter in Canberra and I can't run, and my brother was found drowned; and (c) my kidney function is pretty iffy at best after numerous pathology tests and urinalysis.
The washing machine might work tomorrow (if not, I think that we will just have to go out and buy another).
Bob came with me to visit the Surgeon Paul Miniter (not Minter as previously dyslexically described), which was a good thing. Although we were a little late going into the 2:15pm appointment, all the paperwork and 'stuff' meant that it was after 4:00pm by the time we left.
Verdict? Surgery definitely. We had the option of 10 August, however it is the one day that Bob is going to be busy, acting as chauffeur on a electorate visit down to Jervis Bay, leaving by 7:00am and not back until late.
So I go in on Tuesday, 14 August instead, and should be out that night. The type of surgery is a little less certain. It is highly likely to be a knee reconstruction (using a portion of my hamstring to repair the ACL), however he will go in with an arthroscope and check first. The later has a recovery period of 4-6 weeks before I run again, the former 4-6 months (closer to 3-4 I'm sure!).
When we got home there was another message from my friendly neighbourhood long suffering GP asking me to call - the kidney function tests were deteriorating again, with (occult I assume - I couldn't see it) blood in the urine. More tests.
The kettle just blew up, well more of a whimper than a bang actually, leaking copious amounts of water from the base and remaining stony cold even after it's cheery beep beep beep. Maybe I'm just depressed?
Pleased with the option of surgery - I know that the knee is not right and trail running is not a good thing with the current knee, and what I miss most. Boiling water would be nice though.


5 Responses to “And the verdict is . . . .”

  1. Blogger strewth 

    Far out ducky - you are having a rough trot (or is that a waddle as you are a duck). I'm so very very sorry about your brother. That is very sad. Also, about all the other disasters that seem to have landed themselves on you all at once. No wonder you have mild depression - you are amazing just to be still blogging. You take care, rest up for the op and hopefully your recovery will be the faster option. Lots of your blogging friends will be thinking of you right now. Big hugs.

  2. Blogger TD 

    This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Blogger TD 

    Strewth said it all. I'm certainly thinking of you too, FD. It is not right or fair that all this has come upon you. I don't know why these things happen.

    But what I do know is that I could not think of anyone better than you who would have the inner strength to deal with these things like you.

    As Strewth said, too, the fact that you are blogging is a great sign and I encourage you to continue with it to the extent that you can.

    Certainly a big virtual hug from me now and I hope one in the flesh before too long as well.

  4. Blogger Friar 

    So Sorry about your brother.

    And compounded by your other problems with the dicky knee, and it's operation.

    Our thoughts are with you to help help you pull through these difficult times.

  5. Blogger Ewen 

    I predict your toaster will blow up ;)

    I'm sure the surgery will have you running the trails again Carolyne. 2009 Six Foot Track!

    Chin up and hang in there. Thinking of you.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts