The Race that Stops the Nation


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The second Tuesday of the month is the day that stops the nation!! (Every two years) for the election in the US, and every year for the Bonshaw Cup at HMAS Harman in Canberra.

It is always a perfect foil for the gunk that surrounds the Melbourne Cup hype of the gambling race that day (I feel sorry for the horses). One of the longest running fun runs around, this annual event is decidedly blokey and defence service oriented, although the ring-in civilian runners certainly do their bit as the fastest on the day!

I was still sinusey when I got ready to go, having made an appointment with my GP and unsure about whether I could run or not. Bob cycled out there, although I had to recall him to home minutes after he left as I found that he had locked the car on his way past, leaving my bags and keys inside.

That out of the way, we arrived in the nick of time, registering for $10, we received a good quality dri-fit style T-shirt, and various trinkets and stationary knick knacks from the Defence Credit Union. I missed the race briefing, having found my dear friend Adrienne from customs whom I have seen so briefly this year. We were still talking as the gun went off at 11:30 am, and I seeded myself at the back, not knowing if the distance (6.4k or 4 miles in the old money for the defence fitness test) was too ambitious for me. I chatted to Friar for a while, who was back from Korea, looking very fit and far from fat, and then Debbie who was on the management team for the world triathlon champs next weekend.

I found it hard going up the tiny rises early on in the run, and both Friar and Debbie dropped back to stay with me. Debbie and I kept on, the chatter eliminating many of the undulations that I remembered so well from last year. The weather was perfect for running to begin with, with good cloud cover. This cleared, and it was still and humid requiring me to whip my top off and attempt to tuck it in my shorts. The rigid, heavy duty cardboard race number though was not easy to drape.

I didn’t stop at the drink station at half way, as welcoming as it seemed in the conditions, as my digestive system still does not cope well with ingesting fluids on the run. I left Debbie behind here, although I knew that this would be temporary, as I slowed down progressively and would crawl up the inclines. Over the last few kilometres she did catch me up on a hill and escape into the distance, whereas I thrilled at the prospect of a descent. On the last hill , those in front of me were largely walking, and determined not to I concentrated and powered up in low gear, passing a few and not seeing Debbie again. Unfortunately my finishing sprint was not enough to get me over the line in front of a woman on whom I was closing throughout the event, and I gulped down cup upon cup of water at the finish.

My time? (about) 34:09 for 6.4km Seems really slow, but I was (and am), genuinely happy! Adrienne managed to make it in under 30 minutes despite not having any race practice.

After all the barrel draws and awards, the sausage sizzle (I avoided all greasy meat, sausages and sliced white bread), and lots of chatting with friends, I headed off and had coffee with Adrienne at Deakin.




0 Responses to “The Race that Stops the Nation”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts