Weekend Wrap -Up


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



My run at Customs on Friday was great.
The time? 28:and a half ; so not fast, nor even rattling my 'recent' PB of sub-28 two weeks ago, or 22:00 minutes a year past.
However I ran comfortably, despite very hot and sometimes windy conditions, and was strangely aware of the sound of my exhaled breath during the first 2 kilometres, with no sign of the wheezing gurgling intake that has dominated past runs.
I did remember to take the Ventolin before I ran today!
I settled into an enjoyment of running that I haven't had for far too long, and was wishing that it was a 10k, rather than 5k event towards the end.
It was good that it wasn't however, as rounding underneath Commonwealth Ave Bridge for the final time, my mouth was so dry and full of dust that water was certainly needed soon. Nick passed me here, followed by a procession of heavy breathing good looking young men, Chris, Grant, Mike . . . I had no chance of catching them or Jodie as I came up the final hill.
Afterwards Aki and I enjoyed an icy treat and a drink at the two venues at Acton Ferry Terminal, well away from the last hurrah of floriade crowds, and in a peaceful, shady setting. It was very pleasant, and we both felt like just lying down on the grass and wiling the afternoon away, however I had many tasks to undertake and reluctantly got back on my bike and rode uphill home in the heat and headwind.
Encouraged by the good feeling of running at Customs I was confident about fronting up to Fitzroy Falls on Saturday. Picking up Aki at 6:00 a.m., we had a good run up the highway and found our way to the race site easily without a map, just missing out on the start of the Marathon due to my need to stop at McDonald's Goulburn roadside bathroom and coffee stop en route. It was great to see so many Cool Running caps and tops already there, and before I knew it, the hour had passed for the 10k to start.
I ran with Alice until the first aid station (2.5 k.m.) and was to be delighted with my conservative, chatting start later on. The conditions were tough, however I couldn't stop thinking about those doing the Marathon on a far tougher course, over 42 dusty kilometres and in the heat of the day.
[to be continued . . . . .]
Fitzroy Falls Stats
2006 10k 2005 Marathon
Time 1:04:58 Time 4:21:42
Pace 6:26 Pace 6:13
Distance 10.09 Distance 42.4
Max Heart Rate 181 bpm Max Heart Rate 188 bpm
Average HR 151 bpm Average HR 150 bpm
Elevation gain 251m Elevation gain 848m


2 Responses to “Weekend Wrap -Up”

  1. Blogger Ewen 

    Glad you had a good weekend Carolyne. You ran quite a marathon in '05. I tried, but couldn't talk Aki into running the 3000 this afternoon :(

  2. Blogger Gronk 

    FF must have been a tough 10km in that heat FD. Great to see your out there and doing so well. :)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts