Why is Running so difficult?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak.

After a few games of telephone tag, I managed to read much of the weekend papers before collecting Aki in 'Lemon Peel' and heading over to the ACT Cross Country Run at Dunrossil Drive, the entrance road to the Governor Generals residence. We thought that we had arrived in plenty of time, only to discover that the Girl's Race (who organised this??) was already underway, with the Men's run to start at the designated 1:00 pm start time.

Wombatface / Ewan was there at registration which was a pleasant surprise, so we had our names ticked off and undertook to run with the blokes. It was only 4.2km, so I was confident that there would be some 'slow old blokes' to run with at the back.

As it turned out, quite a few women started with us, however the slow old blokes must have been hibernating, or, more likely, that are not nearly as slow as I remember!! The course is simple to follow, along the grass verge of the roadway, heading downhill for around a kilometre before crossing to the other side and then running distinctly uphill for the next kilometre.

Before I had completed my first lap, a grey swoosh! flashed past and crossed the finish in 11:49. A new course record, I'm sure Marty Dent would have preferred to win the City to Surf last weekend than the cup that was on offer today. I never expected to be lapped!

There had been one other woman in front of me I had hopes of gaining upon, however she drew further away on the ascents. A fellow started to appear, stopping to walk for stretches in which I would get closer and closer, however by gurgling breath must have scared him off, as I never quite caught up and he managed to finish well in front.

Last in the rather smaller, select field of the Black Mtn Run-Up on Tuesday and last again today in a somewhat broader field. Oh well, as I said to someone who asked, I'd prefer to do it like this than not do it at all (which is probably a close call).
I dropped home RP, whose car was up in Brisbane where he was working on assignment, and then popped home to change and make up some sandwiches for Aki. Not much in the fridge, but home made grainy rolls, pesto, grilled tofu and tomato would have to do.
On returning to Dunrossil Drive where Aki and Ewan had gone for a run around the golf course, we headed over to the hospital to visit the PRB again. He is immensely better than when we saw him post op, and reluctantly left as his sister from Victoria arrived. Aki and I then dropped in to her favourite Coffee House near her home on the way home, and I picked up 4kgs of salt for my frequent sitz baths.
Driving home I realised that I wouldn't worry about the Vets Handicap at Urambi Hills tomorrow. I was very tired and needed to sleep. If I didn't have to worry about having to wake up, I might sleep better.


1 Responses to “Why is Running so difficult?”

  1. Blogger TD 

    It's great that PRB is looking much better. Also looks like you and Aki had a fun day on Saturday, too. And Martin Dent...how can people run that quick?

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts