It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learnt to Love Being Last.
Friday - Customs. How the Mighty (Duck) has fallen!
I returned to running after an extended medical layoff at the end of April 2004. Customs on Friday was my primary run, encouraging as I improved markedly each event, and without a 'history' with them I didn't have too many expectations to get back to 'what I used to (should be) do'. So this time in 2004 (04/07/04), on my 6th Customs run after starting on 32minutes, I did 27:29.
I was a tad better one year on, and this time last year (08/07/04) I did 22:57. This Customs run, I ran my little heart out, and only managed 29:21 with all breathing apparatus working hard. I'm looking forward to improve again!
Saturday and Sunday were spent mainly asleep, and almost all in bed with a headache that wouldn't quit. Ouch. No Black Mountain Peninsula 10 mile or even 5k. So much for testing to seem if the (already entered) City to Surf was feasible or not.
Much better on Monday, met Aki during a break from her first aid course (I'm relieved to know that when I get attacked by a Blue Ringed Octopus in Lake Burley Griffin, she'll be able to help).
Tuesday, excitement as I picked up a copy of Bob's ASIO file from the Australian Archives. I had left the dagger at home, but dressed in my best SPY vs SPY cloak, I fronted up for the disappointingly thin file. I fought the temptation of holding on to it for a perusal whilst waiting for my medical appointment, however I knew that after 7 months of waiting The Boy was keen to get his hands on it and arranged a street drop at his office on my way to the rooms.
I managed to get to the July Black Mountain Run Up at lunchtime, and felt better than I had for weeks maybe, so had hopes of a better time than last month when I was forced to walk a portion of the steps. I started slow (good), and audibly wheezing nudged my way past Rad and Friar before the one kilometre mark. It was lonesome, but I was really testing myself and determined not to give in. I finished at the top in 23:19 - which meant nothing to me except that I managed to stay in front of Friar and Rad who arrived at the summit looking surprisingly fresh!
We walked down together, and near the start were overtaken by a peloton of fast runners including Bob who I later found out had done a long warm down including a loop of little black mountain. The PRB turned up, and we adjourned to the cafe in the Botanic Gardens for a coffee and to snuggle up under one of the convection heaters while enjoying the view of the gardens on a very pleasant, clear looking, although chill, day.
A very disturbed night left me with precious little sleep, and sheets drenched from a mega night sweat. I did somehow manage to drift into sleep after sunrise though, and slept rather later in the morning than I would have liked. A trip to the BBQ Stakes at Woden had me hoping for a better effort than last week (33:44) and I tried, really I did. Unfortunately, today was not the day for this either (36:something), although I did succeed in present a clear whinging case for softening my handicap of 9:00 minutes due to prolonged poor performance. Unfortunately, the handicap will only change after SIX MONTHS - which is very demoralising on my current form.
I have yet to read all the photocopied documents in the Asio file, however am growing in realisation of what a subversive character I'm married to! It's interesting to wonder as well on the photocopying conversion of folio size documents to A4, and what is missing.


3 Responses to “It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”

  1. Blogger Cirque 

    Oh sweetie - sounds like you really need to join with me in doing the thumb exercises!

    If they're more up then down then it's a very good month!

  2. Blogger Aki 

    What are you getting Bob's ASIO files for? Do they have stuff on me too? Oooh, that's scary!

    N/M about the run, at least you got out there. I forgot all about the BM run up and wish I could have been there, sounds like it would be fun, but I'll have to wait several months before I could even try it. :(

    Nice to know you did get some sleep!

  3. Blogger Friar 

    Don't worry about coming last, when you are out there running.

    Just enjoy that you are able to do it so well it seems to others.

    Rad and Friar have an exclusive on placing last.

    We just enjoy the running.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts