I have the T-Shirt!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It's not flash, it's not colourful, it's rather generous in size, but I HAVE THE T-SHIRT!

I made it along to the BBQ Stakes after rather unceremoniously collecting Bob from John James Hospital, taking him home and checking that he was alive and hungry! (He was both). I headed back to Woden for the third time that day, and arrived in ample time.

I tossed up about whether to leave early - scratch would be nice - but, stubborn as always, I left off my now rapidly dwindling handicap time of 10 minutes. The legs were leaden to begin with, and I was yet again surprised to see that after a hundred metres or so, my lower jaw started to chatter in the manner of shivering from cold, or more appropriately, shock. This had occurred every run for the last 10 days and lasted for the duration, weird and unexpected.

I kept my jaw slack (so that the teeth didn't knock) and continued along the bike path on the current out and back course, being passed but the now familiar succession of runners. My breathing was OK though this time, and I wasn't experiencing the same distress that I had the previous week. I made it to the turn around (as the first Wednesday of the month, the course was being run in reverse, so I rounded the mark anti-clockwise), and began the 3km return journey, aware that there was more descent than ascent.

Despite the surprised concern from someone who passed me earlier that "I must be coming back from injury?" I was putting my all into the event. I didn't want to come last!

Although I could see someone in a white T-Shirt ahead of me as I came up to the 5km mark near Chifley shops, I couldn't catch him or keep him in sight by the time I neared the finish. I did try though!

My time of 36:16 (ish) was a significant negative split though on the easier second half which pleased me considerably. Announcements were made, such as Phibes (a Stakes regular) great performance in the World 24 hour track champs, and I headed home to check on the tired lad.
I was last, but I didn't care at all!


5 Responses to “I have the T-Shirt!”

  1. Blogger Unknown 

    Good on you FD! Big congratulations for a well deserved T-Shirt! Good luck for 6ft track next Saturday - I'll be thinking of you all.

  2. Blogger Spark Driver 

    Don't you just love those Race T-shirts we tend to collect?

  3. Blogger Ewen 

    Let's hope you don't grow into it FD!

    I'll swap my small Vets 50-run shirt for yours.

  4. Blogger Friar 

    A great achievement.

    And this one had to be earned by running 100 times, sometimes in Reverse.

  5. Blogger strewth 

    Fantastic FD - an awe inspiring effort! And also big congrats to the CR team on Thursday at the Aqua. You just keep going and going. Now at last you can go on that wonderful well-earned holiday and really enjoy it - I'm so looking forward to reading all about it. WELL DONE!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts