Sunday Morning = Holler for a Marshall


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Today was the first Novice Triathlon Race of 2006 (in the ACT), and many experienced triathletes used it to warm up for the National Series Races starting at the end of the month.

Alas, I did not fit into either the novice or experienced catorgory today, my snoz still aching and keeping me out of the water for a month or two yet.

I did vounteer to help out however, a bit of a dual edged sword, as I felt 'pretty average' (gotta love Australian colloquiallism) when waking this morning, and didn't feel up to getting out of bed. 'The buzz of the site was palpable however when I arrived, and though still aching, the desire switched from being tucked up in bed to being a participant among the other 340-odd taking part.

I received my STOP/GO sign and flouro vest, and headed over to stand on Adelaide Avenue near the Thai and Japanese Embassies to prevent cars travelling down Empire Circuit travel too fast as the cyclist ride past.

It was a quiet Sunday morning with very little traffic. On the main thorourghfare, Adelaide Avenue, cyclists out for a training ride in groups of two or six almost outnumbered cars before 9:00 am. This provided me with a good opportunity to clap and cheer those going past, some trim and fast, but by far the vast majority true novices, many on mountain bikes, with the seats adjusted far too low, wearing a mis-matched assortment of baggy shorts and T-shirts, doing it tough with a painfully slow cadence. I tried to support these guys most of all and was inspired by their participation.

It was all over by the time I got back to transition, however I managed to catch up with a number of Cool Runners such as
Speedy Geoff who was there to cheer along Strewth who was racing on the back of a 30km training run yesterday.


1 Responses to “Sunday Morning = Holler for a Marshall”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Thanks for your support at the tri FD - very much appreciated. The photo of those shoes look remarkably like my tri shoes - well-loved!!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts