A Slow Stakes, but a PB for the year!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It was actually quite cool this morning, and although I was too tired to put more on the bed than the sheet, it was a great change over the previous few nights.

Still drained, I worked my way up to cycling down to the BBQ Stakes at lunchtime: at the last minute I took the (hitherto more) dangerous route of the Tuggeranong Parkway, given that there was so little traffic. Although the standard course for Triathlon’s as far as the Cotter Rd turnoff, it felt slightly strange riding along it on my MTB geared up for commuting with racks and bags. Still I was averaging a good kick along ~ until the bridge over the dregs of the river and the Weston Creek Bike Path where the road started to rise, ever so slightly, but enough to slow my fatigued legs to a crawl.

I was there early though (I hate being late), and had plenty of time to catch up on the cricket, chain up my bike and catch up with Rad and Friar. I even had the unusual opportunity to do a kilometre or two of jogging to warm up.

Despite running consistently below my handicap in the last few months, I went off my correct time again to keep me honest. It was a modest turnout for the Stakes (36 out of maybe 60 regulars) given the large group at Mt Ainslie yesterday, however was passed early and regularly by all of those starting behind me.

Aki has no fears of her ‘slow’ 27 minute Customs time, I was well over this at the 5km mark and pushing hard the whole way. I enjoyed it nevertheless, and it was good to catch up with people.

Whilst doing the hard k’s, I sought to explain why my running performance had been so bad for the last few months. I realised (with the benefit of blogsight) that I went into the Sydney Marathon on the back of a cold/’flu and haven’t been firing on all cylinders since. This would also explain the tenacity of the sinus infection.

I cycled home on the bike path around the lake, adding the scenic Yarralumla Bay and National Museum along the route. It was really tough though, and I just fell onto the bed and slept. I don’t understand why this fatigue is so enduring.


0 Responses to “A Slow Stakes, but a PB for the year!”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts