Triathlon Scratching


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The ‘upcoming events’ list on the right was prepared a few months ago, and is in dire need of revision. I fear that swimming is not going to be feasible in the medium term, save for an occasional dip in the ocean or even the lake. My sinus’ are unrepentant, and likely to flare up at any time . . . the chlorine of a pool is (almost) fatal. I am sure that I will need to replace the triathlon events with running. Bugger.

The 3rd day of January was the first Mt Ainslie Run-Up for the year, and although battle scared, I did want to make an appearance to catch up with friends such as Rad and Friar. I had to convince Bob that this wasn’t totally foolish, as I still was required to adopt a goose-stepping silly walk worthy of a development grant (Python fans understand) to get down the stairs around the house, and some movements were exquisitely painful.

Bob required the car for an errand, so I rode down the empty Parkes Way to the War Memorial, having the benefit of the wind at my back and arriving quite early. There was a surprisingly big turnout given that two thirds of Canberra had disappeared to it’s Eastern Suburbs on the Coast, and quite a bit of catching up to do. We were warned not to PB today given the hot conditions, and I thought that I would stay with my old friends at the back of the field.

Despite there being 29 runners, the field spread out from the outset, and I was plugging away on my own for most of the 2.2 kms, without another in sight. I almost PW’éd in 19:48, but that didn’t bother me. If anything the knees and groin loosened up with the activity, although it certainly wasn’t pain free!

I decided to jog down the roadway for the first time, and found that I preferred this, slightly longer, return route and will repeat this in future. More catching up at the finish, changed into cycling shoes and I was off, cycling along Limestone Avenue this time to return home. My Polar on the handlebars revealed that the time was 1:57 pm and I was stunned! I had planned to be at Aki’s at 3:00 pm and there was no way I could get there on time. A quick phone call, and a hard slog into a headwind home.

Too soon I crashed – falling into a deep and unremitting sleep until well into the evening. The post-nasal drip is still dominant and I wake with the most ghastly taste in my mouth. This fatigue is a bore – I fear that I will sleep 2006 away completely.

There’s always tomorrow . . . . .


1 Responses to “Triathlon Scratching”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Keep plugging away FD. If only I could muster half of your tenacity....

    Wishing you minimal night sweats and clear sinuses in 2006.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts