Roast Duck


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Still fired with enthusiasm, I made an arbitrary decision to run first and then cycle as today was also going to be hot.

I took my fuel belt with me for drinks, and had no firm plan other than to put some miles in my legs and start working on the steep mountain tracks at our doorstep. It started innocuously enough, around the usual gentle trail and under Caswell Drive, seeing an old couple walking and someone no doubt enthused to jog/walk as part of their New Year’s resolution.

I headed down towards the lake on the track and briefly flirted with the idea of heading over to Stromlo through the Cork Oaks. I continued to remain in Black Mountain, and doubled back on a higher track hoping to join up with the eastern descent that I had too rarely run. The climbs were tough, and I found that I was running (I use the term loosely) out of habit, despite my plan to ‘learn’ to walk hills more effectively.

Onto the eastern track, a fair bit of bush bashing was required after so many trees and large branches had been blown over in the recent storms. With the benefit of hindsight, I made the mistake of diverting up a sharp, rocky ascent back up to the summit loop trail (which must be one of the prettiest around). Just as I had stepped onto the level track and started to run properly, I tripped on a submerged rock and fell heavily. Feeling annoyed, I gradually picked myself up, to be greeted with a body covered in gritty mud in many places, the fine dirt and gravel of the trail congealing with the ample sweat pouring off me in the heat.

It didn’t seem like much of a buster, but both knees were battle scared and starting to swell a little. I walked, and then ran a bit down the now concreted and signposted ‘Summit Trail’, although found that this was rather too optimistic. Perhaps the added factors of the heat, (my drink bottles long since emptied), and having only fruit and salad since the ride stripped my spirit, but my heart wasn’t in it and I cut my course short and walked back home.

A bit disappointing, but necessary. Another unscheduled and essential sleep that afternoon meant that it was something of a truncated day (again). My knees were stiffening up considerably, and of more concern, it seemed that I had a fairly strong groin strain on each side. Going down stairs was a comedy routine, standing up punctuated by audible yelps. I was not too optimistic for further activity tomorrow, and it is so essential.


0 Responses to “Roast Duck”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts