BBQ'd Duck


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Wednesday is BBQ Stakes Day. The forecast was not good, and it would wise to give if a miss in the heat of the day. However, defying logic, I am slowly getting close to my 100th run of the Stakes. So what?
Friar has run over 1,100 of them! (and he has the T-Shirts to prove it).

That's one of the things you see, I did my first BBQ Stakes in 1991, when I worked at Woden. However, I moved to work in the City and training tended to be based there. Then I got sick, and yadayadayada, runs were very occasional at best.

However, since my 'comeback' in 2004 I have been much more consistent. So I am running slowly, but nearing first base in the BBQ Stakes hierarchy, a 'free' T-Shirt! After 15 years, in which time I threw out all my running records and gear thinking that I would never run again, I want the (lousy) T-Shirt!

I rode the shopping trolley down there, leaving a few minutes before Bob and expected him to catch up with me very quickly. I got a crick in my neck checking over my left shoulder with the expectation of seeing him any minute now. I was locking up my bike before he arrived. Woo Hoo. Good that we're not competitive.

I thought that I 'should' go off my correct, although never changing handicap of 12:15. I hit my watch 15 seconds early when I thought that another runner (much taller, faster, younger, better looking, maler than me) left at 12:00 minutes and I thought that we were at the same time. Even with the 36* temperature, I thought that I would be OK. I went as hard as I thought sensible, and seemed to maintain my position in the small field of the day. Bob went flying past after I had run about 2 1/2km, and while I made an indecent suggestion to him as he huffed past, I assumed that he went off early.

The strangest thing happened nearing the 5km mark. I wished the run was over and I wanted to stop. I didn't of course, although walking was very tempting. I rationalised that the sooner that I finished, the sooner it would stop.

I made it to the end, somehow, a little unsure of my time as I had stuffed up my watch, but I think that I rocketed over the 6k course (I'm being facetious) in 32:16. The two consolations were that I was quicker than last week, and the first eligible runner over the line finished in a gross time of 41:56, two and a half minutes after the usual winning time.

I didn't bother to put on a jersey to cycle home and didn't care how I looked, the sweat wouldn't stop. Fortunately, the heat kept people away and I didn't see others, and the skies opened as I had two kilometres left before home.

A quick bite, and then Bob and I caught a session of 'Good Night, and Good Luck' an excellent biopic about McCarthyism.


0 Responses to “BBQ'd Duck”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts