Definately going around (and around) in circles!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



My thought that I had 'turned the corner' was a little premature.

Since my last post, I have had to reduce my running to walking, which then was restricted to walking on the flat and easy surfaces, as my knee was very unhappy. Two weeks ago I had to abort my Saturday 'long' coffee walk and call Bob to pick me up. My left shoulder and arm was also affected at the time, an uneasy reminder of my left sided weakness which so ailed me in years past. It was difficult to grip objects and there was a strong 'dead arm' feeling.

I was struggling walking up stairs and with any flexing of my knee for the next few days, making even basic walking around rather unpleasant. It had improved enough by the following Saturday that I attempted another walk. Unfortunately, attempt was as far as I got, with another abortion not too far into the walk, requiring a very slow and painful hobble home. I would have rung Bob again if I could, but I knew that he was sleeping off a very long and tiring running of the Cotter 20 (miler) that morning.

Another few days off then.

A visit to the doctor 10 days later, resulted in the ordering of a number of tests. By the end of the week, I thought that I could make an appearance at Customs, important as it was the farewell for Rick Hatcher, a Customs Jogger veteran who has been running the event most weeks since 1977, completing a mind boggling total of 1,177 events.

I was surprised that I felt pretty good, and started off my correct handicap of 7 minutes 15 seconds. I felt pretty bloody good when I started each footfall was slow, but very steady and I thought that this wasn't too bad afterall.

Then 20 metres down the path - PING - the hamstringy bit behind my knee went carthump. I pulled up in the dramatic fashion that sprinters do when they are tearing down the front straight at 9.8 sec/100m pace. The fact that I was doing around 8 min/km (or 48 sec/100m) pace left nothing to reduce the dramatic nature of pulling up.

Que Sera.

On the up side, I'm feeling much, much better than I was only a week ago. I wish that I was able to walk, although three or four days should be about to fix that, I hope. Otherwise I'm just keeping my head above water. I hope that I this recent improvement continues.


2 Responses to “Definately going around (and around) in circles!”

  1. Blogger Gronk 

    I think it's your turn for a bit of good luck FD. It must be just around the corner !

  2. Blogger Ewen 

    Circles? You should have done the 10,000 on Thursday night Doris ;)

    Hang in there FD.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts