Destination: Canberra Marathon


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





OK, So this is Christmas / and what have you done / . . . (apologies John Lennon)





The dreaded unspecified lurgy (head cold/sinusitis/hay fever) has finally abated, and I was able to get to the physio yesterday. This is significant for a number of reasons, not the least as I wanted to be sure that I had the go ahead to train for the Canberra Marathon in April before I publicly announced my intention.





Graeme expressed his professional caution about my need to continue strengthening exercises and work on my balance and tightness in my ITB, however was quite encouraging. I weigh the same (almost double my lightest, and a good 25kgs over what I should) as I did before leaving for America, and running, especially long, endurance running training hopefully will be the best way of dropping some of this off.





I erred on the side of caution yesterday and turned up to the start (albeit late) of the final Lake Ginninderra Handicap for the year, but did not attempt to run it. Instead, after ascertaining that they didn't need help with the start and finish activities, I jogged off (slowly) in the opposite direction, heading anti-clockwise around the lake, hoping to run into Rad and Friar.





It was amazing how dropping the pace maybe 30 seconds a kilometre below maximal effort can be so easy and seemingly effortless. I didn't expect to go far, however once across the bridge, thought that I would make it to the 5km mark and turn around for a round trip of 4km. Still, once there, with no sight of Rad and a path liberally littered with the carcases of large, fat black cicadas, I decided to make it around 5km, and rounded the peninsula. Although I was enjoying it, and considered continuing on around the course to make it a slow 7km, I realised that I was warned only a few minutes ago to hasten slowly and I reluctantly turned around and headed back.






I picked up the pace on the way back, and, heading into the wind, found the going much tougher! It was very satisfying though, and I was pleased to have reminded myself of the value, and enjoyment of running slow in relative terms. As my 'race pace' is slow pedestrian these days, I found that I forget how different it is to go slower again and enjoy it.





Once home, I collected my cycling gear together and went for a short ride to Scrivener Dam and back. It was a stop start affair for much of the outward journey, as I tried to adjust sensors to measure speed and cadence and attend to an annoying wheel revolution 'click' coming from the rear.





Despite taking close to an hour for the 15 kilometre ride, it was immensely satisfying and I am keen to get back in the saddle on a regular basis. So the plan is hatching; regular runs, not being too concerned about pace or distance, and concentrating on building up the time and enjoying it, added to cycling as much as as I can.





I still need to spend quite a bit of time on the mini tramp and working on my strength and balance as well, but I am excited at the prospect!


1 Responses to “Destination: Canberra Marathon”

  1. Blogger Gronk 

    Fingers crossed you can do Canberra. I'll be down there with the tribe, touch wood.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts