Back to the sinus sniffle


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





After returning from the US, Bob and I suffered from jet / travel lag rather more than we would have expected. Nevertheless, after getting our long overdue haircuts (Thanks Angelo), medical supplies collected, legs defuzzed, visiting Bob's sister, and then attending the most important afternoon tea party for our (great) nephew Max's 2nd birthday.





Most of all, I was really looking forward to the Friday Customs Joggers 5k. It just happened to be the end of season celebration, which was icing on the cake, however catching up with friends and running the 5k course in the first time since early May was really what it was all about.





It was wonderful to see Rad, Friar, and all the other Customs runners. I hoped that I would be able to give 30 minutes a good shake given my recent 'races' in the USA, and so elected to go off a handicap of 6:30. This proved to be good call, although I never expected to find this easy, flat 5k so tough.





I raced away, OK, a little too fast, from Rad at the downhill start, and saw a few people in front of me whom I thought I had a good chance of catching. Before reaching the flagpole at Regatta Point however I noticed my heartrate climbing alarmingly, past 160 and well into the 170's. I had remembered to take my Ventolin inhaler behorehand this time, however the breathing was getting very laboured and it was hard going as I reached the 1km mark.





The warm day was a relief, however quite a shock for this little duck. I had been fighting off a developing cold since our return, and my hard run 30 minute 45 second run had me gasping for breath and taking a long, long time to recover. Pushing myself must have pushed the cold / hay fever / sinusitis over the edge, and I spent the next few days in bed, struggling for breath, only getting out to join Aki for a coffee at Hansel and Gretal in Belconnen on Saturday before returning to bed. I had hoped to do the short version of the Tour de Mountain on Sunday, however I'm pleased that I didn't as the the intemittant rain would have been a coffin nail.





I had to cancel my physio appointment on Monday, yet today (Tuesday), if not fully recovered, did wake up with a relatively clear head and was able to breathe (a bonus for sure).





Now, to bring on Christmas! Phew!



2 Responses to “Back to the sinus sniffle”

  1. Blogger Gronk 

    Great to see you running FD. I really enjoyed your USA tales. I hope you & Bob have a great Xmas. :)

  2. Blogger Friar 

    Oh Well, perhaps 30 minutes this Friday ??

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts