E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



2007 12 03 Blog Charleston, South Carolina to Morehead City, North Carolina

Bob and I are on the road again, this time leaving the grand old city of Charleston on the Atlantic Coast, reluctantly heading north to the colder weather in preparation for our departure on Sunday. A severe weather alert is on for the North East, with lots of snow and blizzards forecast. That might sound cute Aki, but we are so ill prepared for such things we would be tied to our hotel.





Our Sunday in Charleston was terrific, even though we were apart for most of the day, as Bob cycled off with his new best friends around the Savannah area, while I took it easy in the morning after my sore, stiff bones from the bridge run before walking off in the direction of the historic downtown, with no map and an adventurous heart. Having passed a seafood shack, Hardee’s, Arby’s, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, KFC, Taco Bell, Burger King and Pizza Hut within 230m of the hotel on my way to town, I didn’t worry about getting something to eat or drink straight away. And I didn’t want any of the fast food offerings either.





On my way down though glorious old streets with substantial houses, and tree lined streets, I soon came across an old college area with row upon row of frat houses, each of the same two storied frame (weatherboard) construction, with a sequence of oversized Greek letters on the front. It kept reminding me of the old National Lampoon move “Animal House”, and I thought that I saw the late John Belushi crawling out of the window more than once.





Following my nose, heading down to the north east, I was soon in the historic downtown area, where there were many shops lining the main street (King St), although being a Sunday. Most were shut, or only open after church in the afternoon. Heading further towards the waterfront park I had seen marked on the map, I moved through some rather uninspiring touristy market shops before finding myself on the waterfront where a small boardwalk led out into the bay over swampland, with ‘porch’ swings suspended along the length, all being well used by couples canoodling or not.





Out in the bay was the famous Fort Sumter, and a naval installation with an aircraft carrier and frigates across the bay. Along the waterfront, a good crushed gravel path provided a great surface for all the topless male joggers (it was a warm, humid day) to show themselves off, before the path changed to a standard concrete surface around the point of East Battery. A fine, small waterside park marked the end of the point, and the path continued around past many substantial four and five storied homes.





Bob rang to say that he was back from his ride, and we agreed to meet in town for a coffee. I only then remembered that I hadn’t had anything to eat or drink yet. About to meet Bob, I decided to hold on, although I was getting a bit thirsty as it was very humid.





The streets were being blocked off for the big Christmas parade to be be held early that afternoon. Lounge furniture and camping chairs were beginning to line the streets, and peanut sellers were hawking their wares along the roads where people were beginning to congregate. Bob had got caught in the


3 Responses to “”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    If the blizzard is bad you might get to stay there for a white Christmas. Now that sounds cute. Tying yourself to your hotel room sounds a little extreme to me, though.

  2. Blogger speedygeoff 

    Bob had got caught in the WHAT? Sounds painful. Please don't leave me on tenterhooks (which can also be painful)

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hi Bob and Carolyne,

    It sounds like y'all had a wonderful time in Charleston, SC. To remind you what a beautiful city Chas is I want to share with you a resource where you you view a live webcam of downtown Charleston, the harbor and Fort Sumter; the webcam is on top of The Calhoun Mansion. You can see the webcam at www.charlestonscrealestate.us. Hope you enjoy it.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts