News of my health were slightly exagerated.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Countdown to Vietnam: 10 Days to go.

(Maybe)

So the sinus infection is continuing apace and yet another antibiotic regime is called for. There are good (half) days and bad days, but my GP, Bob and I all agree that the heat and humidity will only help.

I thought that it was already a bit excessive that I had been the the doctor twice this week and spent around $370 at the chemist for medications and vaccines. Aahh - vaccines, or the oral cholera vaccine Dukoral, in particular. Easy to take; add buffering solution to glass of water, add 3ml vial of guff, stir, drink. Not at all unpleasant.

Four hours later I found that I was really sore under my right arm. Ouch! This got worse and worse as the evning wore on, and I thought that I could feel a now not-inconsiderable lump.
[Must be just imagining it]
My glands under my jaw and groin also seemed tender, but I thought that I was really making a mountain out of a molehill and my imagination was starting to run away with me. When I went to bed at night though, it did seem that there was a long lump the size of a small fist under my right arm. It hurt - a lot - and I made sure that Bob checked it to confirm that I wasn't going completely gaga.

On this occasion I wasn't.

It took a while to sleep and with considerable discomfort; some stronger painkillers helped to calm the thoughts that I perhaps should have to go to the doctor tomorrow, and knowing what a hassle it is when something flairs up on the weekend.

In the morning, although still painful, the lump had greatly reduced in size. I had to decide whether to attempt to join the 8:30am lottery for a same day appointment with my doctor quickly - knowing that it would likely disappear by the time I saw him, with my complicated medical history saying that it happened three weeks later isn't of much value.

I got in at 2:30pm, and felt really shocking. I was later to discover that the Dukoral had most likely caused me a dramatic immune response (yay, an over active auto immune system comes into it own again), and that, while typically the lump was almost invisible to me by the time my appointment came around, general poking and prodding revealed significant systemic lymphatic system infection. We agreed on watchful waiting and see what happens when I take the second dose in a weeks time.

I slept most of the afternoon, feeling generally unwell with aches and pains and a huge headache and nausea.

So - no Customs today! Maybe, next week?


2 Responses to “News of my health were slightly exagerated.”

  1. Blogger Ewen 

    I hope you make it to the end of the countdown FD. Having an OAAIS sounds nasty.

    Good luck to Bob if he's recovered enough to run in the half tomorrow.

  2. Blogger Friar 

    One of the worst parts of a Doctor's visit, is the interminable waiting.

    However, that's part of the current system.

    We were early last week, but there were two children sick, and crying, and in those instances,I didn't mind waiting.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts