Swings and Roundabouts.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



A Very Canberra Tale.

I lobbed up to Customs today with few expectations; a walk around the course would make me feel part of the running community, and I would catch up with people before we head off. With that in mind, I left very early, before the 'watch' started, although I found that it was too unnatural to walk, and I found the urge to habitually jog too great. With an easy track on the downhill start I gave it a go, and was surprised to see that I was managing close to 5:30 pace on the downhill stretch. I eased up, and tried to maintain a pace a little slower to this. Although close to noon with no other customs runners around, I was surprised to have my watch alert me to having passed through the first kilometre without incident.

I was breathing [check]; no shaking or chills [check]; pain threshold manageable [check]. I passed Acton Ferry Terminal without problem, although I was slowing down a tad. It felt wonderful to run, and I now had a goal to make it to the Willow Tree turnaround without having to walk. In beautiful conditions of 28 degrees, this was achieved in 14 minutes 15 seconds, not exactly a sparkling time for 2.5kms, but hell, I was ecstatic!

I kept going, seeing a few fellow runners on my return leg. Jodie was looking very strong, but as though she was keeping it all back. More of the back-markers started to come through, with me managing to see much of the field before I turned off. With no pressure I managed to keep moving at the same pace, slowing somewhat near the pavilion and trying just a bit harder on the downward stretch.

Friar had come along to hold the clock as well, and he had just sent PB, to days back-marker off before I finished. He is saving himself for the Weston Creek Half Marathon on Sunday which should be held in perfect conditions with these cool autumn mornings. We chatted and cheered the finishers in, the field proving to be small with only 21 runners (including me). Jodie managed to break 30mins once again, which she is more than capable of doing all the time now given her current running fitness.

The best news however was to hear about Craig Mottram's record in Melbourne overnight, breaking the 2,000m Australian record by 10 seconds in an incomprehensible 4:50.




3 Responses to “Swings and Roundabouts.”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    Congrats on the run dear little Ducky!!! That's awesome, it's good to see you have a nice run for a change. :)

  2. Blogger Gronk 

    Well done to both you and Buster !

  3. Blogger Friar 

    Good news on the run today, and that you survived with no downside effects. :-))

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts