UVA Veteran's 5km


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Now don't get upset Aki. The Veteran's in question refer to the fact that it is (Military) Veteran's Day on Monday, not that one needs to be 30, 35 or over to enter.






The fun run was organised with military efficiency by student members of the Navy, Marines and National Guard, most clad in camouflage or coloured matched gear. A 'gung ho' 'pull up' contest (chin ups) was also held with the burly Marine types arrogantly seeking to win by pulling themselves up in rapid succession. A great breakfast / brunch picnic feed was held afterwards on the grassy Amphitheatre, with millions of bagels, Starbucks coffee, and mini muffins and rather delicious wraps.







In addition to this extensive slap-up feed, for our $15 entry fee, we also obtained a very pleasant navy blue T-Shirt (the colours of the University of Virginia are blue and orange). Bob and I were also handed a gift card for a local pizza place, each for a large pizza with 2 toppings. Then we had the fun run as well!







Once again the military precision was revealed in the air horn sounding at a GPS measured time of 08:00:00. I was taken a little off-guard, but tried not to get carried away at the start on my first 'race' and third run since the operation. Starting the run around the landmark, Neo-Georgian buildings of this Thomas Jefferson-designed campus, the crowd around me thinned out considerably before it nearly looped back upon itself and started to leave the formal environment of C19th and began to wind its way through a forest of trees, all starting to display their fall colours. The promised hill eventually arrived, and while I found it rather difficult to breathe (having forgotten my asthma spray), I kept moving in a running sort of motion, whereas those around me were walking. They might have been moving as fast as me, but I did keep running.







Around the 3km mark, we reached the summit of the hill, where military-garbed marshals cheered us on, offered water and I was pleased to have a downhill stretch. Strangely my knee, which had been somewhat stiff and sore at the start of the day and the run (it was cold!), stopped hurting on the uphill stretch. I was delighted to have a downhill stretch and wasn't too bothered by the jarring of the knee on the hard surface. Expecting to loop back around the way we started, I was surprised when the finish appeared in front of me - short of the advertised 5km distance! Drat!







All in all, I measured 4.85km and finished with an official time of 31:19. Not too shabby, especially given the rather substantial climb. A great morning! And the duck is back.


6 Responses to “UVA Veteran's 5km”

  1. Blogger Sarah 

    Will you make it to San Francisco?? If so, I'll have to come and catch up with you, and show you around the local area!

  2. Blogger Aki 

    Good run. I'm glad they're not as biased over there about age as they are here! Interclub is shocking, no one older than 12 seems to compete!

  3. Blogger strewth 

    Well done - great run and that sounds like a killer hill too! I'm enjoying catching up on your amazing travels.

  4. Blogger Gronk 

    Nice on FD. Good to see you racing again.

  5. Blogger Ewen 

    So do I get a beer for the closest prediction?

    Nice work FD. You'll be back in the 20s before long.

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hey there! I stumbled across your blog by accident. I'm Kevin and ran the NROTC 5k and met you and Bob there. I was with my wife and son. The blog looks great so I've bookmarked it and will read up and post some comments.
    Cordially,
    Kevin Cox
    Charlottesville

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts