A DNF, and a good decision


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Both were related to the Weston Creek Half Marathon which was run today in absolutely perfect conditions.
Anthony Haber won in 66-ish in a cracking solo run on a course that isn't the fastest half around. I left with the early (slower than 2 hours) group at the unofficial start time of 7:00am, half an hour earlier than than the official 7:30 start.
I started slowly, and very comfortably, remembering to take my Ventolin before the start, and felt really comfortable and strong. I had set my watch to keep me on 6 minute pace, and within a couple of kilometres, the few early starters had spread well out and I was happy to keep on my own counsel and stay on track. I had once again forgotten to take a water bottle and drink sufficiently before the run, and was spitting rather more than was 'ladylike' (huh!) until the first unmanned waterbag station at around 3km. I took two and felt better immediately, tying the empty bags onto my number belt and disposing of them later in a bin.
The first 5km was reached in an even, albeit slow, 30:00. However soon after I could tell that something was afoot: without going into too many gory details, I had 'popped' something from my op yesterday when Bob got me to pump up his road bike tyres with a track pump yesterday to 125 psi. This put far too much pressure on my abdomen and there was an equipment failure (me). The sixth k didn't really hurt so much, but I could tell that things were popping out more and more. Continuing to run for another 17 km wasn't smart, I knew that.
At the next drink station I decided to walk to the 3 person relay change over point at the 7/14 km mark to seek a lift back to the start. Even walking at this point was not great, so I knew that I did the right thing. I was feeling very smug and complacent with myself by this time, as I am not known for doing the sensible thing and stopping, especially when the running part is actually fine.
Back at the start I saw Strewth, the PRB, Tuggeranong Don and Aki , as well as Friar. Coolrunners did well overall, with a number of age group prizes, and barrel draws.


4 Responses to “A DNF, and a good decision”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    15k, 15k, not 17k, lol.

    Don't make us run another 2k.

    You did well and will be able to run again soon.

  2. Blogger Gronk 

    Sorry about the "equipment failure" FD. Hope you heal up (again) real soon. Leave the tire pumping to Bob for a while, eh ?

  3. Blogger Ewen 

    Very sensible and un 'FD-like' Carolyne. Get Bob to buy you a compressor for your next birthday ;)

  4. Blogger TD 

    I had no idea FD that you had gone through this, but I was wondering if something had gone amiss when I saw you. Good to see Flashdrake run well. His 1.33 was much too quick for me - what a runner!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts