Friday in Canberra


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Back in surprisingly warm Canberra, Bob and I suffered the full onset of our head colds upon our return on Wednesday, retreating to bed in the late afternoon, and then spluttering our way through Thursday. I had a bit of a talk to Aki though a stuffed nose and blocked throat.
Although keen to get to Customs on my return on Friday, my (temporarily) ailing health and a colleague of Bob's death meant that I opted to not run up to customs, given that Aki, Friar and Rad would also be away.
We were both much better after 12 hours sleep, however did not do much until the funeral. My stomach growled audibly throughout, and although there were some tears, it was quite a good service. We tried a hole in the wall at the markets for a bowl of Pho, and although not up to Hanoi standards, and at 11 times the cost, it helped us get back into the Vietnam state of mind. Two days back, and we missed the food a lot.
I reinforced the food stocks at home with a visit to the Asian Grocer in Weedon (Piddlin') Close for Tofu, fresh herbs (coriander, basil and Vietnamese mint), some instant ginger tea, rice porridge mix (congee) and noodles. Dinner was a little char grilled kangaroo, udon noodles dunked in a stock with pearl mushrooms and english spinach, and a mess of vegetables with seasonings of lime juice, fish sauce, coriander roots, basil, lemongrass, garlic, onion and chilli.
On arriving home, we found the phone lines and internet out. No talking to Aki for a while. I still feel better, and am anxious to run, although I'm not sure what is wise at the moment. I will meet Aki for the ACTCCC run at Red Hill tomorrow . . . . Bob does not want me to run, I'll see how I go tonight. I have so many plans and so little time!


6 Responses to “Friday in Canberra”

  1. Blogger Aki 

    I don't need to do Red Hill, so if you just want to meet up instead for coffee etc, that's fine. :)

    Been looking about htings to do, interesting holiday in July might give me a chance to do something stupid. Talk to you tomorrow! :)

  2. Blogger Cirque 

    Welcome back! I've been following your travels and your trip sounded fantastic.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Stay out of the rain!

  4. Blogger strewth 

    Welcome back FD and stay warm. Look forward to catching up soon.

  5. Blogger Unknown 

    Good to have you back home, Carolyne! Rest up for a bit before tackling any running; travelling is exhausting...but fun!

  6. Blogger TD 

    Hope you get well soon Flash Duck. Some great stories there from your Vietnam trip.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click for Hanoi, Viet Nam Forecast


About me

Previous posts